Thursday, July 8, 2010

All that glitters is not gold......

This is the little precious that almost cost my granny her life.  I fell in love with this clip when I saw it.  Out of the whole estate sale this was the only thing that caught my eye.  I asked how much it was knowing that I didn't have enough; I only had $2.00 on me.  So when the gentleman said $3.00 I figured it was meant to be.  Chris and Granny were standing right next to me,  I looked at Granny and said, "Stay right here!" I ran to the car to scour the seat cushions.  I looked everywhere for change.  Why is it when you don't need it's there, and when you do it's not.  I did manage to find $.50.  When I resurfaced Granny and Chris were by the car.  I ran passed Granny and told her, "Go ahead and get in on this side" (the side away from the street) and ran off in hopes the man would take $2.50 instead.

The next thing I know Chris is yelling all the way across the yard," That piece of garbage is worth more than your grandma's life!"  What, is he talking about?  The man just looked at me and was like "Yeah, just take it."  I felt so bad.  I am still not absolutely sure of what all happened.  But from what I gather is that when I walked away instead of getting in on the side she was already on, she walked into the street without looking while a car was coming and Chris couldn't get out of the car fast enough to stop her.  It caused major drama. Since Granny has dementia we have to watch her carefully. Somehow Chris thought it was all my fault, and I was pissed because going to a couple garage sales is my only time out in the week and he was right there.  And I did say, "Stay Here!" in the first place.  Needless to say she wasn't hit and I still got a treasure and $.50 cheaper the original price. 

Does any one know what it is?  Or seen something similar?  It has sharp hooks on the clip so I don't think it could be a scarf or blouse pin.  I was thinking maybe a money clip but then again the hooks are so sharp.

 I am leaving you all with a quick and easy recipe you can use with a variety of summer fruits.


Cut plum, peach, nectarine, etc. in half taking the seed out.  Put halves in a baking dish, sprinkle with brown sugar and place a little dab of butter in each center.  Place under the broiler and let the sugar brown and caramelize.  Making sure not to let them burn.  Once done place a dollop of ice cream on the top with another little sprinkle of brown sugar.

Yeah, it's almost the weekend.

Linking up to:




15 comments:

Paulette said...

What a harrowing experience! Glad grandma was okay. Lovely clip. Could it be a shoe clip? Just a guess. The baked fruit looks yummy!

Nita Stacy said...

What a crazy story. It's not your fault, you were in a shopping daze. I once had a car wreck because I was so excited about a pair of shoes that I was on my way to buy. I had to wait till pay day and was hoping the shoes that were on sale would still be there. I ran a light! I was so distracted and hit two cars and ended up in the hospital with a twisted ankle.

Luckily no one was going very fast when it happened and I was the worst one hurt. A week later I was headed to get those shoes again. This time being more careful. And they were still there!

They were great shoes. Everyone commented on how great they were when I wore them. I didn't tell them....what damage was caused when I went to get them.

And that is definitely a shoe clip!

Coloradolady said...

Beautiful clip....my...what an experience with grandma! It is scary how things can happen so quickly! Have a great VTT!

viridian said...

Shoe clip? I've not seen one. I was thinking a scarf clip??

My SIL once almost drove off the road b/c she was admiring the light glinting in her engagement ring (she was newly engaged).

marian said...

omgosh what a drama, i'm so glad it all worked out in the end! i LOVE the clip, it's gorgeous..maybe a bucklE?

btw thanks for your lovely comment :) x

Jingle said...

Wow! That is drama! It is a gorgeous piece, though! Nice find!

Pam Kessler said...

That is so pretty. I was going to say a scarf clip, but now I'm not too sure.

Sorry about the grandma incident. My Mom had dementia and I know how hard it can be at times.

LV said...

I am not sure about your clip, but it is a nice piece. I am glad your scare with your granny turned out okay. It is sad when loved ones get to this point, but we never know when we could be next. It takes a lot of patience dealing with these situations.

Stacey said...

Hi- Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'll have to read some of your posts! So, it sounds like you have a variety of options for what kind of clip it is- perhaps a shoe or scarf clip. My call is maybe a fur clip since it has the sharp hooks that wouldn't hurt the fur. But that's just a guess (honestly I should know since it's my job but oh well).
Glad to know your grandmother is OK. That sounds like a pretty scary experience...

Rebecca Everett said...

Well upon further research today, it seems to be a dress clip from around the 1930's. Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I enjoyed looking at everyone's finds.

cathysrunning said...

Glad everything worked out - that's a lovely clip! Your recipe looks yummy. Peaches are just beginning to ripen on my neighborhood, so I may be trying this out soon! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting my blog on Vintage Thingie Thursday!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you figured out what it was! The important thing (other than that your grandmother is OK) is what that clip is going to be now! It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

katie jean said...

I am thinking shoe clip too! Sounds like a fun day otherwise :)

Trudy said...

I want to make sure that as much as possible that everyone else in the group is aware of when you post something for our group, The Artistic Mother's Art Group, so that you will receive visits. We now have 99 participants. That is so great! Because we are so large, it is not possible to visit each and every post that every member puts up; so when you post something related to The Artistic Mother's Art group, I would suggest that you start your title off with "Artistic Mother" to maximize your chances of others from the group paying you a visit. I look at the blog roll for our group every day; and when I see those words, I automatically know that this is a post that I don't want to miss. Please continue to check the blog roll on my blog for Artistic Mother Group related posts on a regular basis so that we can continue to encourage one another in our efforts to do a little something creative each day. Only five show at a time. Just click "Show All" to see all of the blogs. Also, keep in mind that if you are leaving encouraging comments, that will ensure that you will receive some back yourself.

Another thing you can do to help you remember to check my blog often to see if I have posted or check the blog roll to see if others have posted is you can put my blog on your blog roll and/or in your reader so you'll easily see when I've posted and you don't have to try to remember on your own.

Trudy
Host of The Artistic Mother's Art Group
www.artisticcreationswithtrudy.blogspot.com

Tootsie said...

what a great story to go with your keepsake...glad no one was hurt...it is pretty...but I have no idea what it is!
thanks for the visit a while ago...sorry it has taken me so long to return the favor!